"This is a direct attack on students of faith, and I’m outraged Democrats are using an economic stimulus bill to promote discrimination,” said Senator DeMint. “Democrats should be ashamed of themselves for siding with the ACLU over millions of students of faith. These students simply want equal access to public facilities, which is their constitutional right. This hostility toward religion must end. Those who voted to for this discrimination are standing in the schoolhouse door to deny people of faith from entering any campus building renovated by this bill.
“This is now an ACLU stimulus designed to trigger lawsuits designed to intimidate religious organizations across the nation. This language is so vague, it’s not clear if students can even pray in a dorm room renovated with this funding since that is a form of ‘religious worship.’ If this provision remains in the bill, it will have a chilling effect on students of faith in America.
“It is in hard times that our society most needs faith. It provides the light that no darkness can overcome. This provision is an attempt to extinguish that light from college campuses, from the lives of our youth.
“In the words of President Obama today, ‘Faith can promote a greater good for all of us.’ Our varied beliefs can bring us together and rebuild what is broken. It lifts those who have fallen on hard times. Our culture cannot survive without faith and our nation cannot survive without freedom. This provision is an assault against both. It's un-American and it's unconstitutional. Intolerant and it's intolerable.”
This funding restriction is unconstitutional. In the 2001 Good News Club v. Milford Central School Supreme Court decision, the court ruled that restricting religious speech within the context of public shared-use facilities (or schools) is unconstitutional.
AMERICAN RECOVERY AND REINVESTMENT ACT OF 2009
SEC. 14004. USES OF FUNDS BY INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION.
(a) IN GENERAL.—A public institution of higher education that
receives funds under this title shall use the funds for education
and general expenditures, and in such a way as to mitigate the
need to raise tuition and fees for in-State students, or for modernization,
renovation, or repair of institution of higher education facilities
that are primarily used for instruction, research, or student housing,
including modernization, renovation, and repairs that are consistent
with a recognized green building rating system.
(b) PROHIBITION.—An institution of higher education may not
use funds received under this title to increase its endowment.
(c) ADDITIONAL PROHIBITION.—No funds awarded under this
title may be used for—
(1) the maintenance of systems, equipment, or facilities;
(2) modernization, renovation, or repair of stadiums or
other facilities primarily used for athletic contests or exhibitions
or other events for which admission is charged to the general
(3) modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities—
H. R. 1—168
(A) used for sectarian instruction or religious worship;
(B) in which a substantial portion of the functions
of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission.
FIRST AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION
Amendment I: Freedom of speech, religion, press, petition and assembly. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
If you want to comment on this - Write the Whitehouse Here.
- ► 2010 (18)
- 111TH CONGRESS 1ST SESSION H. J. RES. 1 Proposing ...
- Newt Gingrich Analysis of "Obama's" Big Government...
- Republican Leader Steele Putting Republicans on 12...
- Initiative and Freemarket Capitalism Stumped
- Oklahoma Bills to Make Initiative Qualification Ea...
- Legislators Considering Whether to Put Bills Direc...
- "The trouble with socialism is that you eventually...
- Pelosi Is In Behind Her Puppet President with $420...
- Award for Guerilla Warfare to Sarah Palin
- How the US Spends More And Taxes Less
- All Choaked Up After Pelosi's Puppet Speaks
- RINO Hunters
- Now Stay With That 401(k)
- Ranking Member of House Ways & Means Hoping for a ...
- Pelosi pushes budget austerity: When is that 787 g...
- News - Walden vows to help implement stimulus
- COMMENTARY: ARRA or Stimulus? Oregon as an Example...
- NewsBusted 2/20/09:Congress, Amy Sullivan, Diane F...
- Stimulus Package and Religious Freedom
- Commentary: Who Is Really In Control?
- $75 Billion: Obama Homeowner Affordability and Sta...
- National Ponzi Scheme - Recovery.Gov - ARRA - Stim...
- The Natives Are Restless
- The Error In ARRA
- Humor on Stimulus Package, Bipartasan, Obama: The ...
- Looking Forward To Change
- Conflicts Between Economy and Energy Can Obama ba...
- The Blame Game: GOP Is Guilty
- The Have Less Versus the Have More
- The Progressive Capitalist
- ▼ February (30)
Republican Leaders in the Senate & House
Senator/ Republican Leader Mitch McConnell's official YouTube channel http://mcconnell.senate.gov The official YouTube channel of Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell http://mcconnell.senate.gov/ http://www.youtube.com/user/RepublicanLeader
Senator Jim DeMint's Official YouTube Account Following the November elections in 2006, the senator stood up against big spenders in Congress and stopped over 10,000 wasteful pork projects. Famed Washington journalist Robert Novak called him a "hero."He was recently ranked as the Senate's most conservative member by National Journal and as the No. 1 senator voting for responsible tax and spending policies by the National Taxpayers Union. DeMint understands the greatness of a country is found in its people and values, not in its government http://www.youtube.com/user/SenJimDeMint
Republican Leader of the House, John Boehner House Republican Leader and a staunch opponent of pork-barrel politics, John is fighting to eliminate wasteful spending, create jobs, and balance the federal budget without raising taxes. He has challenged Republicans in the 111th Congress to be not just the party of “opposition,” but the party of better solutions to the challenges facing the American people. Under the new House GOP leadership team John leads, House Republicans have formed “solutions groups” to develop principled alternatives on the issues that matter most to American families and small businesses, and launched the GOP State Solutions project, an initiative aimed at bringing reform-minded Republicans at the state and federal levels together to promote common-sense solutions from outside the Beltway.
"Gone" Barack Obama
Barack Obama Countdown widget brought
to you by www.obamacountdownwidget.com
to you by www.obamacountdownwidget.com